Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Boycotting MSN, Yahoo chat, and google talk

If you haven’t noticed yet, I have been boycotting all chat software for the past 3 weeks. I have banned my Yahoo, MSN, and Google Talk during working hours. I have gotten on at night to chat with some people but generally I have not used messenger much.

Purpose of Boycott:

It has come to my attention that I haven’t been working enough at work and I have been complaining to jess that I feel unproductive. It’s not so much the people chatting with me but that I feel the need to initiate chats with people.


After 3 week:

I can with high confidence say that week 1 I was at least 50% more productive. If I worked ~4 hours a day, I was easily doing 6 hours a day. Week 2 had a slight decrease but still very productive. Week 3 came with some drawbacks as now I’m surfing more. Week 4 this week I’ve been writing reviews for epinions more but the reason behind that is another story I will tell another time.

To summarize: I feel more productive and instead of going to the extreme of totally cutting off the chat software I’ll keep my status as busy. I’ve noticed multiple people boycotting my boycott of msn. Some people don’t like that fact that they have to e-mail me for questions vs just chatting with me. Overall this was a test of will as I wanted to see if I can cut something off I’ve been using for so long.

June 11 marks my return to chatting during work. yipee



***UPDATE***

Also I've put myself on a $50/month allowance. After completion of this boycott I will be awarding myself $10. My allowance doesn't account for food, just toys. Some of you may laugh but I run a tight ship on my end so jess and the kids can have more to spend for themselves. When your a 1 income household you gotta make sacrifices and I know I can stay in budget easier then jess because I'm so much stronger mentally then jess.


I would compare my mind as a Jedi master and Jess's to the sand people of Mos Eisley. muhahha

4 comments:

Ricardo said...

Productivity my butt...I know you just don't wanna talk with us :-)...

Unknown said...

You, my friend, are a geek. Plain as day. But, if you want to have a Wii pary...I'm in.
Ps. My kids do not eat if I start chatting.

Lawrence Tam said...

i can't help it, i'm an engineer

Ricardo said...

I would compare my mind as a Jedi master and Jess's to the sand people of Mos Eisley. muhahha

Dude, that was seriously geeky...almost too much...hahaha